Friday, November 11, 2011

LG Optimus Slider for Spontaneous Video

When my old mobile phone stoppled working I was ready for a replacement. I looked with deep envy at what folks could do with their Smartphones.


I did want the ability to shoot video for just in case situations. I also needed a unlimited data plan for connecting to the Internet. I could have purchased an Apple iPhone 4S or even a 3G.

What was not affordable was the unlimited data plan. $80 a month for two years? Doing the numbers over and over could not budge the frugal warden of reason in my head.

I was between a rock and a hard place. I wanted to try an Android experience, needed a phone with web capabilities. I just couldn't find a tablet that I liked and the Apple iOS is still not in my budget.

The Optimus Slider is the solution at the moment. It is $199 no contract and, because I had the prior service, my data plain is $25 a month. 300 minutes voice and unlimited text and data.

It runs Android 2.3.1 and has a 3.2 megapixel camera. I looked at the specs of one of my videos that I recorded:
  • Standard definition 640x480 MP4
  • Mono AAC Audio at 16,000 kHz
  • 12.99 frames per second, so probably a max of 15 frames per second.
For spontaneous video that is going to be uploaded  to the web it  is fine. I have been testing out Vimeo, which has a loading limit of 500MB per week for free users.  This has worked out great. I haven't tapped my limit with recording on the phone.

Battery life? Depends on what you have activated on the phone. I implore you to turn off the Wi-Fi and GPS functions. Those are the biggest battery drains. Once you do that your batter life will improve.

It makes a huge between "WTF" and "that is much better".

So the LG Optimus Slider was the most affordable, non-constricting financial choice I could make.
I'm good with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.